Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I Can't Win

I walked away from the game of soccer because after playing I usually felt disgusted with myself and frustrated.

Tonight, despite only watching the game, I still walked away disgusted with myself and frustrated.

After watching the squad suffer a rather ugly 10-1 loss, I couldn't help but notice the fact that the team was better off with me on the field than without me. I realize, of course, that I have just made an enormously arrogant statement, but I'm trying to be real here, so bare with me.

Despite the current state of disrepair my soccer skills are in, the simple fact is that I remain comfortable with the ball at my feet, and perhaps the one thing that I have not lost as I have aged is my vision upon the field. My lack of speed or stamina not withstanding, I am undoubtedly still an asset to the group of players I left behind.

The realization that the team is clearly worse off without me nearly made me sick to my stomach. The reason: I hung my teammates out to dry by abandoning them. I know, I know, that sounds really melodramatic, but it's true.

Now I am faced with a difficult choice:

Do I continue to wrestle with my explosive temper and frustrations in a return to the field?

Or do I turn my back on my teammates and walk away.

Two roads diverged in the wood...

1 comment:

Obi Orjih said...

My vote: continue to wrestle with your explosive temper and frustrations in a return to the field. But you already knew that. We need someone else who can dribble and pass on this team. Besides, even if I had close to the skill necessary, I don't have the stamina to carry this team like CJ did. And while you're at it, recruit a superstar girl for us.