Monday, October 08, 2007

Alas

"El futbol no se juega con los pies. Se juega con el corazon." - Bora Milutinovic

If you can't translate this, too bad.

That quote is exactly the reason I have retired from the game of soccer. Those of you who know me know that I am a passionate person. In a lot of ways, about a lot of different things, I'm all or nothing. Futbol is one of those things that is driven within me by passion. Unfortunately, I am desperately unable to disconnect that passion and simply enjoy playing the game. My intense desire to compete at my highest level leaves me frustrated and angry these days.

If I were to measure the player I am today against the player I was 5 - 7 years ago you would find that the younger me was a far superior futbolista. I was quick, agile, talented. Today, I find myself becoming slower, heavier, and less fluid.

In my heart I am still the athlete of 5 years ago. On the field, however, I am a former athlete.

I will miss the game.

I love the game.

2 comments:

J said...

Oh Dan!

I wish you wouldn't leave soccer. You love soccer. You have a good time out there.

I am reminded of folks like Curt Schilling, Greg Maddux, Izzy, Julio Franco and other athletes who had to re-work their approach as they aged and could not play the game in the same manner as before. So they adapted themselves to still play at a high level, but just not the way they used to.

I know you could do this. And you could still have fun, and be competitive.

If you do, I may consider a sweatpants return.

Nice to see the Cubs go down, as they so often do.

Anonymous said...

"Soccer is not played with the feet, it is played with the heart." Approximately, for our Spanish-impaired readers.

I'll respectfully disagree with the previous comment ... sometimes the mark of a great athlete is to know when the game has left him behind, and to make an exit with grace and dignity when the time is right. Perhaps coaching is in your future ...