Monday, October 29, 2007

Culture

On Friday night I attended the finest concert of my life. A friend of mine invited me to the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra, and it was wonderful. Most of you would probably not have pegged me to be a great fan of classical music, and you'd be right; It is not a passion of mine. However, the music, coupled with the conduction of the orchestra and the musicians created an amazing visual and audial experience.

It was quite amazing to watch Maestro Slatkin conduct the symphony. The level of coordination and complexity would boggle the mind of even the greatest football coach. The individuality of each musician was also quite intriguing. Beyond the obvious differences between the instruments each musician wielded, there were other, more subtle intricacies. Some of the protagonists where extremely animated in their seats, bobbing and gyrating along with the music. Others sat almost motionless aside from whatever actions were absolutely necessary to manipulate their instruments. The precision, detail, and teamwork required to produce the beautiful melodies was astounding, and the fact that it came from a large group of diverse individuals made it even more impressive.

I have decided that I will make a concerted (pun intended) effort to attend the symphony on a more regular basis.

Who wants to join me?

No comments: