Friday, December 08, 2006

Drum On

"The Little Drummer Boy"
Come they told me
pa ra pa pum pum
Our newborne King to see
pa ra pa pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring
pa ra pa pum pum
To lay before the King
pa ra pa pum pum ra pa pum pum
So to honor him
pa ra pa pum pum
When we come.
Baby Jesus
pa ra pa pum pum
I am a poor boy too
pa ra pa pum pum
I have no gifts to bring
pa ra pa pum pum
That's fit to give a king
pa ra pa pum pum ra pa pum pum
Shall I play for you
pa ra pa pum pum
On my drum?
Mary nodded
pa ra pa pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time
pa ra pa pum pum
I played my drum for him
pa ra pa pum pum
I played my best for him
pa ra pa pum pum ra pa pum pum
Then he smiled at me
pa ra pa pum pum
Me and my drum.
You're probably wondering why I took to the time to spill out the lyrics to this famous Christmas song here. The reason is that it is my personal favorite Christmas song. (It also happens to be my mother's favorite.) The music is catchy and the sung out drum line is entertaining, but the message in the song is what grabs me.
Essentially, the song tells a story. Here is a poor little boy who probably has nothing in the world besides his drum. I imagine the drum is old, dirty, and considerably worn. None-the-less, the boy is invited, as all of us are, to go and see Jesus. It is an interesting picture if you think about it: Three Kings from the east bearing fine gifts and a haggard-looking local beggar boy with a drum. Different as they are, they are all called to the baby Christ.
Three wealthy Magi arrive at a manger, and deliver three kingly gifts to the newborn savior of the world. Tagging along is a poor boy with no gift to give. What possible gift could he bring? Unbeknownst to him, he is about to provide the Christ Child with the greatest gift he could ever bestow.
The Lord did not bless the poor boy with wealth. He likely has no education. He may not eat for days. He was, however, blessed with a talent. He plays his drum. He plays his best. And the baby Jesus smiles at him.
To do the best with the talents we are given. Our greatest gift back to the Lord.

1 comment:

J said...

I've always been partial to the Jars Of Clay version of this song. It's pretty sweet.