Monday, April 21, 2008

Let the Games Begin

Monday evening brings with it the beginning of softball season. It is a time I particularly enjoy. Competitive sports have long since become a part of my history, as age and inactivity have taken their toll on my body. Now, coed recreational softball is as close as I can get.

My inability to compete at a high level in soccer or rugby make playing either of those sports tedious at best these days. The rolling of the soccer ball especially is merely a reminder that my best days have long since past me by. But softball is different.

In softball, the game itself is enough. I enjoy the thrill of swinging the bat, and the anticipation of playing defense. My horrendous performance aside, the softball diamond still puts a smile on my face where the soccer pitch has now failed me.

Take me out to the ballgame!

No comments: