Monday, March 24, 2008

Almost Upon Us

The sounds and smells and sights are like distant recollections. They are old friends I haven't seen in too long. Soon, I will no longer need to reach back into my memory to gain some comfort from them. Soon, we will be together again.

This year the winter has been longer and colder than years past. The energy seemed sapped from the frigid air as though it was stolen and carried away in the night. In most cases, we never even got to say, "goodbye."

Ah, but winter's long bitter grasp is faltering... The ravaging cold darkness is giving way...

Very soon we will hear the first hints of their return. There will be a solid, thundering crack, and all who hear it will say, "That sounds like my old friend..." A hint of freshly prepared frank will begin to wisp into the air, and all who smell it will look around themselves to find the source. And then they will see it.

There it will be, just as it was when we left it, nestled amid the cold concrete and steel. The warm, red brick jewel box of summer with it's renewed emerald gem basking in the sunlight!

In just seven days, baseball will be with us once again. And all will be right with the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I have decided if I were as talented as you are in writing (rather than my "convesational" pieces) than I would have to echo your statements in the blog! Definitely well said! However, I am little disappointed that you did not mention the $8 beer that is probably now up to $10 this season! :)

Obi Orjih said...

I echo Laura's sentiments regarding your prowess with the English language. Good show, old chap.