Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Priorities in order

So two weeks ago was kindof a rough week at work. Two diversions in the span of 4 days is pretty bad, considering in my 2 years of airline service I've only done a total of 5 diversions. We departed Minneapolis for Chicago on Friday night with 47 people on board and lots of gas due to the deteriorating weather in Chicago. We made it as far as the Janesville radio beacon (JVL for you pilots), which is a fix on the Janesville 4 arrival into O'hare. About 50 miles from JVL we were told to expect holding. (Again for you pilots, here's what the ATIS at ORD reported at the time: 260/12 1/4sm +sn fzfg vv100) The captain and I groaned, copied our holding instructions, and went to work figuring out how much fuel we could afford to burn while turning circles in the sky. A few mental gymnastics later, we determined that we could afford to waste 20 minutes in the hold before being banished to an alternate airport. 20 minutes later, we were banished to Green Bay. As stupid as your average traveler is, most of them know that Green Bay and Chicago aren't the same place. This makes them angry. After all the passengers had deplaned there was one man who waited until everyone else was off the plane then came up to the front to "speak" to us pilots. To quote this individual, "You two are incompetent. I can't believe this, your job, your number one priority is to get us to Chicago. What good are you people?" Before we could overcome our shock, he walked off the plane. My number one priority? Unbelievable. I have exactly 4 priorities at work, and they come in the following unchangable order:

1. Everyone that gets on my airplane gets off my airplane alive.

2. The airplane does not get bent.

3. We get where we're going.

4. We arrive near the time we advertised.

These priorities are non-negotiable, iron-clad, and no circumstance will ever supplant the first two priorites.

"The best safety device in any aircraft is a well trained pilot..." - Flight Safety Intl. Motto

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DORK!

Anonymous said...

Stupid people, I hate people like that guy. All I have to say is brush it off your shoulder. I became an expert at the whole brushing it off your shoulders technique from my experiences when I worked at the nursing home. I hope this week works out better for you.